Friday, November 7, 2008

All of you people look the same to me.

Blogging and corresponding on the internet is waaay better than talking to you in real life. If I talk to you in the street, I have to look at you, which means I will be subject to the stereotypes that are tied to your appearance, and you might be concerned about making a good impression – snappy suit, good posture, well-groomed. I would have to be nice and pretend to listen while taking your measure. Your words, once spoken, would instantly vanish, and our conversation would be immediately forgotten. Oh sure, I might recal tidbits - a joke or something memorably clever or wise, but mostly you would tell me about things that only matter to you. You certainly wouldn't lay forth your secrets or shortcomings, we wouldn't discuss grave problems or work out their solutions, in fact we probably would keep things light and pleasant. And when you were through talking, I would be left with a general opinion of you. "Nice guy", or "Ass" usually covers it.

That is the way I view political races. Words written by others and delivered in a fancy way to make people like you, while spinning what your opponent says to make people not like him. Social niceties and meaningless fluff.

Face to face, you tell me that you voted for Obama, and are thrilled that he won. I respond that I love the idea of Obama being our president. What a proud day for our country, and what an image to portray to the World! I love the idea of a black man ruling the nation, and what it means to so many who struggled against racism and oppression. He will force some white people to change their perceptions, and root out into the light those who won’t. He will give hope to black people that all things are possible in this land of opportunity. And then we will hug and dance and sing “God Bless America” while waving the flag and giving thanks for Abraham Lincoln.

But here, the written word is more permanent, precise, planned and edited. Each word has value and purpose. And what I say here, I may not tell you in polite conversation. I won’t mention that I don’t care about the genealogy of any President, only his politics. We are at war, and I have no idea whether Obama is worthy of the position of “Commander in Chief”. I have no idea if he will have the fortitude to make the correct decisions during the time that we are most vulnerable – during the transition period from old regime to new. Since I believe that “Classified Military Intelligence” is much more accurate and reliable than what we read in the newspapers, I believe that our President will become aware of information that may require him to change his opinion of the war and what needs to be done. Will our president have the fortitude to jeopardize the honeymoon period of his Presidency to do what is best for America? Is he satisfied with beating the odds and becoming President, or will he view this as merely a key to the door of opportunity that lays ahead. Will he endeavor to become a great leader, not just a great politician?

What I won’t tell you is that I am concerned about the economy, and have no idea what Obama’s qualifications are in leading us through this recession. I don’t see how raising taxes will help, and have strong concerns about a common majority in the House, and Senate.

What I won’t tell you is, I care nothing of Obama’s race nor Bush’s religion, as long as nothing influences his duties as our leader other than the facts before him.

The people have spoken, they have cast their vote for change, and change has been delivered. But change away from a dark past is simply not good enough. What is needed is change toward a brighter future. And now everything that candidate Obama has spoken will be replaced by what President Obama does. I wish him well.

No comments: